Two brothers, Douglass and Maurice Steiger wanted a large, powerful tractor for their farm operations. Unable to find what they wanted, they built their own tractor from stock Euclid parts in 1957. Before long, neighbors began ordering tractors. As the demand increased it became obvious that the farm at Red Lake Falls, Minnesota was unsuited for expansion. In Januray 1969, the Steiger brothers in association waith a group of businessmen and farmers formed a new corporation and moved to Fargo, North Dakota. Steiger began building four wheel drive tractors for International Harvester Company in 1973. Sales that year totaled over $20 million. The Steiger Seriess II tractors appeared in 1974, and that same year, Steiger began construction on a 420,000 square foot plant, the largest four wheel drive tractor plant in the world. By 1975, the Steiger plant had a capacity of some twenty tractors per shift. Beginning in 1974, Steiger began to expand the foreign market operations. Steiger Australia ,Ltd. was established in 1976, and dealerships had been organized in Central and South America. In 1986, Case IH acquired the brand and continues production of tractor models under the Steiger name.