Russell & Co.

Russell & Company entered the tractor market with a three-cylinder outfit in 1909 dubbed the “American”. It wasn’t really a Russell creation but an adaptation of a British-built outfit. Conventional designs were evident in the 30-60 model introduced by Russell in 1913. The front and rear wheels were identical to those used on the steam traction engines. It was built in this style for only a short time, but no major changes were made during the entire production run. The same three-wheeled design was evident in the next Russell model, although the three-cylinder engine was abandoned in favor of a four cylinder motor. It was built from 1911 to 1913.

Manufacture Logo


In 1842, Charles M., Nahum S., and Clement Russell formed a partnership known as C.M. Russell & Company. At first, the Russell brothers all carpenters carried on a general carpenter and furniture business. Eventually, they began building a simple grain thresher, and from these roots, Russell & Company grew into the largest industry in Massillon, Ohio. Nahum S. Russell was elected president of the company when it was incorporated in 1878. Shortly after the company was incorporated, they began building steam engines. Russell engines were widely known and used. Their most distinctive feature was a “shifting eccentric” valve gear, a model of simplicity. In 1909, Russell got into the gas tractor business with a three-cylinder outfit called the “American” Rated as a 20-40, it was available still in 1914. A three-wheeled 30-60 model came out in 1911. It was followed by a four-wheeled 30-60 in 1913. Later called the Russell “Giant” it remained in the Russell line until the company ceased operations. Lightweight tractors were added in 1915. All told, there were three sized of lightweights. They were not modified to any extent during their entire production run. Even though the Russell tractors were not particularly innovative, they were ruggedly built. Russell & Compan was sold at auction in March 1927. The Russell Service COmpmay provided repair parts until 1942.


Content contributed by:





# Produced




Standard Tread | Tricycle


B 15-30 Little Boss


B 20-35


B 12-24


B 20-40


C 20-40


help preserve the history of old iron

The Old Iron Database is community driven and growing. If you have photos, literature, history, specs, or additional content to share, we invite you to submit using the contibute form and help us build this new world of vintage iron!