Robert H. and Cyrus M. Avery formed the Avery Planter Company in 1874 in Galesburg, Illinois. In 1884 the Avery brothers line consisted of planters, cultivators, and stalk cutters. During this time they relocated to Peoria, Illinois. The Avery Company had a large line of products, including steam engines which began in 1891. After the passing of R.H. Avery, his brother C.M. Avery moved into the presidency roll of the company. J.B. Bartholomew, a relative of the family, took on the vice-presidency role. In February of 1909 Avery approached the market with a “farm and city” tractor. They wanted to provide a tractor for small farms and acreages. Avery Co. continued to build the massive heavy-weight tractors into the 1920’s when smaller light-weight tractors started to come to the forefront. The last production from the Avery Co. was the Avery Ro-Trak tractor. It was thought this tractor would have done well except for the intervention of World War II.